The ARTAS® robotic system is useful because each person has a unique hair pattern and this the technology eliminates the possibility of human error so that the rate of follicular damage during extraction is minimal (FUS 25 to 30%; manual FUE 25-30%; robotic FUE 0.9 – 5%).
This process makes the follicular extraction time span considerably shorter. As a result, the time of the total procedure is significantly decreased compared with manual FUE. This is a big advantage for people who wish the have the quickest and safest procedure available. Colombia Hair Transplant Procedures.
Traveling to Colombia for Hair Transplant GUIDE
We can determine the grafts if you send us pictures of your head from the front, back, top and sides. Let us know if you had previous hair transplant surgery or any other medical conditions. When you are ready to make the big step with us, let us know the dates that works best for you. We check for availabilities and then give you green light to book your plane trip.
Once we received the 20% deposit and your flight number, we will book your surgery and give you a choice between two accommodations for your stay. At your arrival, one of our surgery coordinators will be waiting for you at the airport arrival door and drive you directly to your apartment.
WE WILL COME PICK YOU UP.
CONSULTATION WITH THE DOCTOR
WE PREPARE YOU FOR SURGERY
WE START ARTAS EXTRACTION PROCESS.
END OF SURGERY
WE COME PICK YOU UP.
We aim to provide you with comfortable, modern accommodation, within easy reach of our facilities
You will stay in an independent studio in a secured building located in the best neighborhood of Medellin. We can guarantee that you will be provided with a studio-type room with bedding, a desk, and a quiet place to work with WiFi connection. You will have access to the kitchen and cooking facilities.
- The doctor will first check the donor area, which is usually the back of the head. This is done to see the condition of the follicles, density of hair, and the sustainability of the hair.
- He will then proceed to estimate the number of grafts you will need for your hair transplantation.
- They will shave the donor area of your scalp.
- The doctor will construct a natural looking hairline, and take photographs for your medical record
- The doctor will apply local anesthesia to your scalp.
- He will then determine how many samples will be required.
- The doctor will carefully remove the strip from your donor area. The diameter of the strip is usually between 1 to 1.5 centimeters (0.4 to 0.6 inches) wide.
- The area where the strip was removed will be closed with stitches.
- The strip will then be dissected under a microscope. Good-quality graft will be extracted from it.
- The doctor will start making incisions in the area where the hair transplant is needed after considering the direction of your hair growth
- The graft units are inserted into the incisions of the balding spots in a pattern that looks natural
- An antibiotic and bandages will be applied to your scalp.
What Are The Causes Of Hair Loss In African american?
Individuals with curly or afro-textured hair are more likely to experience hair loss or alopecia due to the natural fragility of their hair type. Other causes include:
- Traction Alopecia: is caused by the repeated pulling on the hair such as wearing tight ponytails, cornrows, dreadlocks, weaves and braids, using hair extensions, and the use of chemical relaxers and rollers. This form of hair loss affects one-third of African American
- Androgenic Alopecia: is the most common cause of alopecia, also known as male and female pattern baldness. it has an hereditary condition that happens with ageing where there is a thinning of the hair
- Age & Hormonal Changes: Men typically begin to notice a receding hairline when they reach 50, while women suffer noticeable hair loss after menopause. Birth control pills, low thyroid function, nutrient deficiency, childbearing, and breastfeeding all affect hormones and result in thinning hair.
- Sudden Weight Loss: When patients lose a significant amount of weight in a short time, the body experiences a shock to its system; this affects the hair growth cycle and causes hair loss and hair thinning.
- Lifestyle Factors: Lifestyle factors such as smoking, poor diet, and high daily stress often aggravate hair loss. If carried out for long periods, hair loss caused by these factors will require hair transplant surgery to remediate fully.
How Is Hair Restoration Different For Black Men?
There are a few challenges involved with restoring Black hair, These include:
- Distinctive Curl
While Black hair tends to be very curly, curl tightness and texture vary depending on the individual.
When performing follicular transplants, the angle at which the follicle is re-inserted into the scalp will determine how curly the new hair growth is. Each follicle needs to be carefully placed to ensure that the new hair growth will exactly match the surrounding hair.
- Increased Fragility
Textured hair tends to be more fragile than other types of hair, and the roots are more easily damaged. This is because the shaft is thicker than other hair types and the curl does not stop at the scalp but instead it extends itself into the root of each hair. This means that it is harder to extract the hair follicle from the scalp without damaging the root.
Are there any benefits to African-American Hair for Transplantation?
With naturally curly hair, each strand provides more coverage than that of straight hair, providing better coverage with fewer overall follicles transplanted. Making the procedure less costly and less invasive. Also the lower color contrast between scalp and hair means that the transplanted areas will blend much better, with less skin shining through. And lastly, the curved hairline is much easier to craft so that it looks natural.
What Are My Hair Restoration Options?
There are a number of hair restoration options for black men. Some include:
- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
This procedure involves removing a strip of scalp with healthy hair growth, then harvesting the hair follicles and re-inserting them into the thinning area. This method is well suited for African American hair because it’s easier to remove healthy hair follicles without damaging them. However this process may result in problems with healing, because of the possibility of producing Keloid, which provides a distinctive linear scar.
- Follicular Unit Excision (FUE)
In this procedure hairs are extracted individually, using minimally invasive technology such as the micro-punch tool. There is the traditional FUE, where the patient’s head is shaved as part of the procedure; and the Shaveless FUE, where the head is not shaved. This method is beneficial because its much less noticeable to the patient’s friends and family.
- Scalp Micropigmentation -à ????
Micro-pigmentation is a non-surgical procedure where tiny, medical-grade tattoos are placed on the scalp to mimic the look of shaved hair follicles.
Are there any risks to African American hair transplant?
Some of the risks associated with an afro hair transplant surgery, are:
- The formation of cysts
- The formation of keloid scars on the scalp as the punch marks from the FUE extraction heal. Keloids are benign growths that appear abruptly above the skin due to an extra production of collagen the body supplies to protect the wound.
How long does the recovery take ?
The FUE technique is most commonly used requiring a short recovery time. Within the first few days, patients may experience some redness, swelling, and discomfort in the transplantation site, which is managed with pain medication and antibiotics.
There is also a shedding phase which happens a few weeks after the procedure. The hair will fall due to the follicles entering a resting phase, this is a natural response to the surgery, it does not suggest that the FUE transplant failed to work; the grafts will maintain their health so long as the authorized aftercare steps are taken.
Permanent results become more noticeable after 3 to 4 months when new, healthy hair begins to grow in the recipient areas of the scalp. The majority of the new hairs will show in 5 to 6 months and will grow thicker and longer in 10 months. Final results should appear one year following the surgery.
Is an afro hair transplant right for me?
The best hair transplant candidates are patients with dense hair in the donor area. Patients between the ages of 25 and 50 are usually excellent candidates since hair loss stabilizes then. Men without shaving bumps typically have a higher success rate when undergoing afro hair restoration surgery since the transplanted hair is not damaged as it grows.
How many sessions are required for an afro hair transplant?
Every patient undergoing a transplant procedure will require either one or multiple 2-4 hour sessions or one long 8+ hour session, this depends on the scope of work, personal goals and degree of hair loss. While some patients achieve a natural look with 500 grafts, others may require 2,000 grafts.
Is the hair transplant procedure painful?
In every hair transplant procedure there will be a local anesthetic administered so your hair transplant procedure will not be painful.
How soon can I return to work after my FUE hair transplant?
In general, most patients can go back to work 24 to 36 hours after the procedure, depending on whether their job is physically strenuous or not.
Will my hair transplant results be permanent?
Since the harvested hair follicles are genetically programmed to keep growing, the results of an FUE hair transplant surgery are deemed to be permanent.
When traveling from out-of-town, what locations should I book at?
Booking a hotel in a place you have never been before can be quite a hassle. We offer you a luxury hotel room minutes away from the medical tower in the best neighborhood in the city and a driver to pick you up from and to the airport. This has an additional fee of 250 USD.
Should I avoid anything prior to an afro hair transplant?
- alcohol for at least a week prior to the transplant.
- recreational drugs.
- painkillers and blood thinners like aspirin.
- spicy foods
Can I use someone else’s hair?
NO! only your own hair can be used
Can I go back to having my hair relaxed?
Relaxing causes damage to the hair in every way, it will also increase the risk of having skin with reactions. It is never advised to have a relaxing done whether you have had a Afro Hair transplant or not.
Can I braid my hair afterwards?
yes you can but in most cases this is what caused the original hair loss, so if you do go back to braiding your hair it may produce the same effect all over again.
Can I use a wig?
If you’re going to use it, we recommend that it’s a very occasional use. But post-operation you cannot wear a wig until the grafts have fully healed. It’s also important for you to remember that adding pressure on the grafts will affect the grafts ability to grow.
Where is the hair taken from?
The hair is taken from the back of the head.
Do I need to shave my head ?
With the FUE method the answer is yes. With the FUT method the answer is no. Only the area where the strip will be taken from will be shaved, this process will be done by us.
- The first thing you should know is that hair transplants are performed under local anesthesia; this is applied to the surface of the scalp. It is important that you know this because for several days after the transplant you will present a decrease in the sensitivity of your scalp. Therefore you need to make sure that the water that you use is either cold or warm, so you do not burn yourself.
- After the hair transplant there will be an application of a cream on the donor area, also known as the area where the grafts were removed from, this cream will promote hair growth.
- On the night of the hair transplant, you need to make sure that you sleep with your head higher than your body, this will prevent the swelling from reaching eye level, causing you to have puffy eyes.
- The treatment for this procedure is an oral antibiotic, anti-inflammatories and common analgesics. This formula is given to you during the pre-consultation.
- The day after the hair transplant, you will return to the clinic where they will check the implanted grafts, and cleanse the area where the follicles were extracted from. At this time if any of the grafts have come out of place, the grafts will immediately be reinserted. Finally, they will wash your head completely, it is normal for there to be a little bleeding or the presence of a scab. Here you will also be taught in detail how to continue washing your head.
- On the 4th or 5th day after the hair transplant you can start applying lubricating oil on the scabs. We recommend the use of baby oil or olive oil. You will apply this before going to bed, to help hydrate the scabs and make its removal a lot easier. In general, scabs can remain on the scalp for approximately 7-10 days. The idea is that these scabs fall off spontaneously, it is very important that you do not peel them off, or even scratch them. This is because you can remove not only the scab but also the hair graft.
- If at any moment you present scratching or itching, you should gently tap the area, this will help relieve the itching or discomfort. Remember that you should not scratch or apply any force to the area.
- You should avoid the use of pools during the first 2 weeks
- Do not exercise during the first 2 weeks
- If you like playing soccer, you need to avoid direct contact with your head for approximately a month to a month and a half.
- If you ride a motorcycle you need to make sure that the helmet is not too tight for the first 2 weeks at least.
- By the 4th month the grafts will begin to grow and you will begin to see results.
- The final results will occur between the first 9 months to 1 year.
- If you follow and apply these recommendations, you will get the best results !
1. To wash your hair for the first time after your hair transplant, you will first have to add plenty of water to the area where the hair transplant was performed. It’s important that the water that you use is either cold or warm. This is because the local anesthesia that was used to implant the hair, will prevent you from feeling the heat of the water, making you burn yourself.
- After this you can continue to add water to the rest of your head, including the area with the bandage. The idea is for you to soak this bandage long enough for it to peel off on its own without having to apply any force to it.
- Once you have managed to remove the bandage, you can now continue with the application of the shampoo. We recommend the use of the brand DOVE. Start off by applying the shampoo with very small taps to the transplanted area. Make sure not to rub or scrub the shampoo into this area, because if you do you could detach or take off some of the hair that was implanted.
- You can now finish applying the shampoo to the rest of your head, including the area of the bandage
- Rinse off the shampoo with plenty of water. Be sure to remove all the shampoo, as this can cause irritation of the scalp.
- You will finish off this process with drying. For this you must use a clean towel or even a disposable paper towel. You are going to make small taps in the transplant area to remove all the extra moisture. Make sure not to massage the area. You can even let it air dry.
- If you are currently using Minoxidil it is important that you stop its use approximately 2 weeks before your hair transplant. This is due to the fact that minoxidil is a vasodilator, which causes the blood vessels to increase their size and therefore increasing bleeding.
- If you are a smoker, you need to stop smoking approximately 2 weeks before the hair transplant. This factor has a big impact on the quality and results of the procedure, because smoking reduces the amount of blood flow that the implanted follicles will receive.
- If you are currently receiving laser therapy, or undergoing treatment with finasteride, or with growth factors, you may continue the treatment until the day of your procedure.
- Lastly It is important for you to maintain a good scalp hygiene. If you suffer from any scalp inflammatory diseases, you must receive the complete and appropriate treatment for it before the hair transplant. This is because if there is any inflammation of the scalp during the procedure, removing the hair grafts will be difficult and we could cause damage to the graft.
What is an eyebrow transplant?
An eyebrow transplant is a cosmetic procedure where hair grafts from the area above your ears is transferred to your brow area. The goal of this procedure is to have hair growth, producing a fuller effect.
How is this procedure done?
This procedure is very similar to a traditional hair transplant. Hair grafts are taken from hairs above the ears or from the lower back of the neck. There’s a transfer not only of the individual hairs, but also of the follicles. This helps to ensure that new hairs are able to grow in your eyebrows once the initial transferred ones fall out. Once the extraction is finalized, using the FUE technique, they are prepared under a microscope to extract the single follicular units. the doctor will then make small incisions at the follicle donor sites, as well as at the sites of transplantation in your brows. The entire process takes about 2 to 3 hours.
Eyebrow hair transplant is a very delicate procedure, it requires perfect placement of the hairs that are angled at just the right direction and positioned to mimic natural growth.
What are the Pros and cons to this procedure?
Proponents of eyebrow hair transplants note that the new hairs look natural because they’re your own. The procedure may also limit the need for brow makeup. Also No scalpels are needed and no stitches are required. The procedure is 100% micro-surgical.
However, there are also downsides to this procedure. For one, it’s costly, and It can take several months until the new follicles take play and you can see results.
Lastly, there is a chance that these new follicles won’t take play in the transplanted area, therefore not producing new hairs.
What’s the recovery like for an eyebrow transplant?
The recovery period is relatively quick. You will notice some scabbing around the brows within a few days of the transplant. The most important thing is to not pick at these. After several weeks you will notice that the transplanted hairs fall out. This is completely normal. There will be noticeable growth at between four and six months’ time after the surgery. You will start to see the final cosmetic result at around 10 months.
Is there anything I should not do during the recovery?
You may need to avoid vigorous exercise for approximately 3 weeks after your hair transplant.
How long do eyebrow transplants last?
Eyebrow transplants is a permanent solution for eyebrow implants, using the FUE technique, these procedures last a lifetime.
Do eyebrow transplants keep growing?
Since the donor hair that is transplanted into the eyebrow comes from the scalp, the hair growth will remain the same just as if it was still on your scalp. This means that the hair from the transplanted eyebrow must be periodically trimmed. After some time, the transplanted hair can adjust and might no longer need trimming.
Are there any Precautions and side effects?
An important risk of an eyebrow transplant is that the new hair follicles won’t take. In this case, you will have to have the procedure done again in the future.
There are also risks associated with the surgery, such as:
- excessive bleeding
- nerve damage
How do I know if I am a good candidate for eyebrow transplant?
You are not a good candidate for an eyebrow transplant if you suffer from:
- alopecia areata
- bleeding disorders
- a history of complications related to cosmetic surgery
Who Might Benefit from Eyebrow Transplants?
You can benefit for an eyebrow transplant, if you have suffered from:
- Burns to the eyebrow area
- Trichotillomania: (stabilized and treated ) this is the uncontrollable urge to pull their hair out
- Alopecia areata: (stabilized), an autoimmune condition that makes your hair fall out
- Hypothyroidism: underactive thyroid gland
- Hypervitaminosis A: is a condition where there are toxic levels of vitamin A in your body
Can I use hair from my body?
Yes, this is possible. However, body hair has a shorter life span, and there is also a reduced chance of the hairs actually taking and growing. The best option is always talking from the back of the head.
How quickly can I go back to work?
This depends on what you do for a living. If you work in a physical role, we recommend that you refrain from work for at least a week.
Do the hairs grow straight away?
It is possible, but in most eyebrow transplant the hairs will fall in the first few weeks or within 1 month. After this it’s a case of waiting for the hairs to grow.
Can I exercise afterwards?
You must refrain from exercising or any physical activity for a couple of weeks minimum.
Can I go tanning in the sun?
No, you must protect your skin from the sun for at least 2 weeks after the hair transplant.. This time may increase depending on your type of skin.
Will I Feel Pain During the Eyebrow Transplant Operation?
A local anesthesia will be applied before the procedure. This way the person will not feel pain during the procedure.
Will I be asleep during the transplant?
No, patients are awake during the whole process of eyebrow transplant.